Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fall is here....

I loved Fall in Colorado Springs.  The colors of the trees changing to wonderfully beautiful golds, reds, yellows, oranges and purples made everything seem so warm and inviting and the crisp chill in the air meant we could start wearing our sweaters again.  This will be my first Autumn in Phoenix and so far it doesn't feel much like we've left Summer.  But I think that's ok as a trade-off because Fall doesn't last too long in Colorado Springs and then old man winter is in your face and I really don't want to see that ugly old guy anymore.  So, I'll enjoy the flip-flip and shorts weather for as long as I can and look at all of my wonderful pictures of our wedding and other years we captured those wonderful Fall colors... while I sip a margarita.  :)

Everything here is going fairly well.  As pretty much everyone knows, Jeanette's battle with lung cancer is having a few ups and downs but we're hoping with the help of hospice that she can get back to living each day with hope and promise and in comfort. 

I have always wanted to do either the Avon Breast Cancer Walk for Life (not sure if that is right but you know what I mean) or the Susan G Komen but I never really made the time to do it... I was either busy, broke, lazy or forgot.  Not great excuses.  So this year as I was perusing the volunteer options through American Express (I really like how they do this btw) I saw they have a team for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.  So I signed up myself, Donald and Mom and we're doing the 5K walk on 10/10/10... that number just seems like a good number and a good day to do a walk, don't you think?  My link to my little fundraising site is below.  I'll be sending it out to everyone I know and if you can donate even $10, it helps to offset the costs of providing free mammograms to women who otherwise wouldn't get one.  Ten dollars = boobies and lives saved.  Sounds like a fair deal to me :)

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=421127&supId=305305741

Aunt Dottie comes in today and I am SUPER EXCITED.  She hasn't come to visit us yet in Phoenix and after the ups and downs we've been through lately, her support is really welcome.  It's great having my family here and their constant support is super necessary right now and having Aunt Dottie come out just adds so much to that I can't tell you. 

I experimented on some gluten-free muffins this morning so I hope they turned out ok.  Peanut butter & banana muffins.  Didn't have enough peanut butter so I added some almond butter... and some honey and powdered sugar... and yogurt and vanilla... I think I better go taste one!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I should haver read this befofe I got to AZ. I think I missed something with the peanut butter muffins. Even though the blueberry ones were incredibly delightful. I miss you my sweet niece. Aunt Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeannie! I too am doing the Susan G. Komen 5K (in Houston on 10/02/10 - this Saturday!) You will love it!!! I did the walk last year with my friend Aisha, and I am going to attempt the run this year... so wish me luck! Also, I would be more than happy to make a contribution to your fundraising page, but the link you provided appears to be broken... do you have any other suggestions? In any case, thank you so much for all the support you and Donald are giving to Mom and Dad (Jack and Jeanette) during their battle with cancer... your support is such a blessing! :)

    I'm so glad you were able to visit with your Aunt Dottie this weekend (she always writes the nicest comments on the blog, doesn't she? :) Regarding the weather, I can tell you that the first real cool front of the fall hit Houston this weekend, so hang in there - the cool weather is on the way! :)

    Steven

    ReplyDelete