I do think that Fall is finally here. We've had wonderfully cooler temps and some rain and I'm loving it. There is a chill in the air that speaks to Fall and I dug out some of my cooler temperature clothes and shoes... it's still too warm to wear them but at least when we have that one really cold day I know where they are!
A quick update on Jeanette for everyone and it's not good so don't shoot the messenger; she's already hurting enough as it is.
Jeanette is quickly losing her battle with lung cancer and it's very difficult to watch but we are trying to take in as many wonderful moments we have with her as much as possible. She has some good days and some bad days and it's pretty hard to predict how many more days we'll have with her. She's started to complain of pain recently but the morphine is doing a wonderful job of controlling the pain and she's doing pretty well. Donald, Christian and I are cooking and delivering dinners to Jack & Jeanette's house a couple of times a week so Jack, Steven and Mark don't have to cook and everyone gets a little break from the norm. Jeanette always has such a wonderful smile when we visit - she is such a wonderfully strong and warm hearted person. Donald and I try to visit more often during the week and balance the family life here, which is going ok but you know it never seems like we're doing enough.
Jeanette is in bed most of the day resting but when she's feeling up to it, Jack, Steven and Mark help her into her wheelchair and take her out to the back porch so she can breathe in the fresh air. She still has a pretty healthy appetite but on her bad days she's not been eating too often. The hospice nurse tells us that is pretty common and we will eventually see the more of those days as she approaches her last days. The hospice folks have been so wonderful helping everyone through this, including helping Jeanette. They provide all of the supplies, support and medical attention that are needed to ensure Jeanette is as comfortable as possible and we all don't freak out too much. The CNA who comes to visit to give Jeanette her spongebath also is a beautician and Jeanette had a hair cut the other day!
I will try to keep most people updated but we'll see how that goes.
One thing we are going to try to do is put together a little slide show for Jeanette. We want family and friends to take a picture of themselves, alone or w/a group, holding a sign/signs that say "We love you" or "I love you" or put her name on the sign. Wish us luck!
We are all doing ok here. Christian's grades are good and he's doing well. He's been handling the upheaval very well and we're very proud of him. No complaints and he's quick to pitch in when needed. Donald and I are both doing well at work and handling things ok here. We love that we can visit with his siblings when they are here and are very happy to provide distractions, food and support.
Eric and Mom are coming up and we're going to run some errands, mostly for gluten free foods, but might get the halloween candy, too. I'll post Halloween pics and stuff when it happens... we have some pretty cool plans!
Jeannie my sweet niece, I love you. That's all I have to say. Aunt Dottie
ReplyDeleteXXXOOO