Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fresh paint

Funny how when you live in a home that you never seem to notice the little marks, smudges, nicks and scratches that happen to make their way onto the walls.  But go and try to sell your house and you and everyone else will notice them.   I had thought perhaps I could ignore them but after a couple of not so flattering comments from the realtors showing the house, I knew I had to do something.  I tried to scrub them, but either 1) they weren't coming off  or 2) the scrubbing literally takes the paint off the walls.  So I wandered down to the basement to see if I could find a piece of painted wallboard that I could take in to have paint made up to match.  While I was down there I started to think... Donald had found old buckets of paint under the basement stairs that were leftover from when the house was built and he had tried to touch up some of the spots he had spackled but the paint was so much lighter.  We couldn't figure out why when the paint should have matched and tonight I figured it out.  The paint was lighter because the basement had been finished AFTER he had the house built so the contractor had used different paint on the basement.  With that 'eureka' moment in my head, I took up a bucket, stirred the paint and hesitantly brushed a little paint on a small spot near the garage.   It matched.  I smiled a big smile, took a big swig of my beer and went to work.  So I dug out the small roller, took my mom's suggestion and made a makeshift paint tray out of a cookie sheet in a plastic trash bag and I went to work touching up all of those little marks, nicks, smudges and scratches.  And you know what?  It looks A LOT better.  So let the showing commence and hopefully better feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment