So I've been at my new job at American Express for three weeks now and so far things are going very well. I'm picking up the 'language' of acronyms and terminology and systems pretty easily and I am actually combining a lot of what I've done and learned in the far past and recent past. I have yet to feel like a complete idiot which is a far cry from my previous job and is helping to rebuild my confidence tremendously. I even had someone on my team tell me she's impressed with how quickly I'm picking things up and already delving into the work! The people on my team are nice, dedicated, smart and have been with the company a LONG time... I think most have been there at least 10 years. In fact, most of the people I've met in my organization have been with the company 10 years or more! It's pretty astounding when you stop to consider that corporate cultures have changed so rapidly and they tend to favor the young up and coming generations but not at Amex. It's nice to work for a company that is so well respected.
I've started using the stairs daily so I can get a little bit of a workout and start getting healthy again. Stress really takes its toll on a person's health, including the motivation to be healthy. I live in a sunny and warm place, have a new job that I think I'm really going to like and do well and I have lost a lot of the stressors I had before the move so I think it is time I got healthy. Amex has a Weight Watchers at Work program that I might get more information about, they have an activity room (not a gym) where I can do yoga or pilates or tai chi classes and of course there is the huge parking lot and the four flights of stairs. Walking Abby 3-4 times a day helps out as well.
Right now, I'm happy and while I'm still waiting on some things to work themselves out, I'm not stressing. Good example: someone going too fast (college girl) on the interstate was slipping between cars and lanes (it's crazy how they do that!) and she miscalculated and clipped my rear bumper while on the way to work Tuesday. Yup... the rear-end of my car got hit... again. That darned thing is maybe a month old! I got upset a first, mostly just swearing (that won't go away no matter how de-stressed I am!) and then got out, told her she was going too fast, got her info, called 911 who sent the highway patrol and then we all left on our merry way. I called Donald, my mom and my brother while on the way to work afterwards and we had a good laugh (I think I actually giggled) because what else could I do? That poor car has taken so many hits but she's held up and kept my butt safe so what do I have to complain about, huh? So I deal with the insurance and just laugh about the situation because nobody was hurt and it's really kind of ridiculous how often that poor car has been hit.
Things are going ok here... I still don't like living in the apartment but we're dealing with it and once our furniture gets down here, we'll swap out a few pieces of furniture, put some of these extra boxes and stuff in storage and that should help it feel more homey. In the meantime we'll be looking for a new home here in Phoenix where we can mitigate the commute for me but not make it hell for Donald, find a good school for Christian and get settled in. Speaking of schools, there are some super cool schools I wish they'd had when I was in high school. I found at two math and science academies, but I think there are more in the city. One is called Bioscience High School and I'm very interested to have Christian check it out. Here's the link: Bioscience High School. Their mascot is right up his alley (Double Helix Dragon!) and they have awesome computer and science programs. It's challenging, but he's smart enough to handle it. Another one is up by Scottsdale called the Saguaro Math and Science Academy. They both require an application to enroll but they are public (no tuition).
Ok... gotta get ready to take the car in for an oil change and an alignment. Since I'm driving about 60 miles a day in my commute (RT) I want to be sure the car is up to date on maintenance. I can't afford to get a new car yet, so she's gotta last a while longer.
And one last thing... There is a Trader Joe's here and I found good Costa Rican coffee beans.... and enjoyed every drop in my cup while typing up this update.
Good day everyone!

Sounds like you've made a good decision in moving to Phoenix. But here in S.D. I keep hearing strange news about your new "hood." Could be a CA/"Zonie" thing. :P
ReplyDeleteTrader Joe's!!!! Glad to hear things are going well... watch out for the drivers, enjoy hiking the stairs while the weather allows, and woohoo for TJ's! =) Miss you! R
ReplyDeleteok folks... if you are going to post anonymous b/c you don't want to do the sign in thing, can you at least give your name, please? :)
ReplyDelete