There is no guide, manual, cheat-sheet, CliffsNotes, class, seminar or certification process when you become a parent. There is your instinct, your environment, your own research and your support system, which is typically your family, but could just be whomever is around you that loves and supports you. The only way you know you are doing the right things or the wrong things is by trial and error... and watching someone else do the same, but not everything is really the same, is it? You can watch one mom discipline her child one way but it may not work the same way with your own child. Same with potty-training, learning to read, ride a bike, etc... you get my drift.
Our children are unique, special and amazing in their own way. We can help to shape, mold, guide and protect them, but they will be who they are meant to be in the end. We can only just hope they become good people influenced by all we've done to steer them towards their future. So when we have to make difficult decisions we have to wonder, always we should wonder, "am I doing right by my child?" The answer isn't always so quick to come to you, at least it isn't for me, and it helps to reach out to that support system because they, too, have your child's best interests in heart as well. It doesn't take away the anguish and anxiety of wondering if this decision point is also a turning point in your child's life... "will he hate me for making this decision?" or "is this going to set him over that so-called edge?" I wish I had the answers but all I have is my gut, my raw instinct, my heart and my badge of honor as a mom, who only wants what is best for my child and to do the right, thing telling me to carry on.
I don't expect he'll thank me later... or ever. I can only hope that one day into the future he will understand and realize I tried my hardest and my best and I tried to the right thing... always.
Well said, Jeannie. I can truly understand your heart as a mom who has been where you are and feels your struggle in my heart. Hang in there. I love you. Aunt Dottie
ReplyDelete